MTConnect is a set of open, royalty-free standards intended to foster greater interoperability between controls, devices and software applications by publishing data over networks using the Internet Protocol. It is a basic first step in linking shop floor technologies and moving towards the goal of seamless manufacturing operation. By establishing an open and extensible channel of communication for plug-and-play inter-connectivity between devices, equipment and systems, MTConnect allows sources to exchange and understand each others data.
This approach allows connectivity from the lowest end of the process chain, nearest the workpiece or shop floor, to the highest design or process planning tool. And the expectation is that the interoperability afforded by MTConnect will enable a host of third party solution providers to develop software and hardware products to make the entire manufacturing enterprise more productive.
Memex is a proud supporter of the MTConnect standard.
Dave Edstrom, CTO Memex Automation, educates us on how we can learn more about MTConnect.
The question, “where can I learn more about MTConnect?” comes up quite often in discussions about machine monitoring. This URL, http://TinyURL.com/MTConnect, and this is what we typically send those individuals for more information.
MTConnect URLs worth checking out:
- The Three A’s of MTConnect – the Adapter, the Agent and the App – 10 Minute Webcast by Dave Edstrom, CTO for Memex
- MTConnect.org – THE site for MTConnect
- github.com/MTConnect – lots of source code, binaries and information on exactly how MTConnect works at the lowest level
- MTConnect Forum – Q & A as well as discussions
- MTConnect Users Portal – some good info here
- MTConnect videos and training from the [MC]2 2013 MTConnect: Connecting Manufacturing Conference
- Using Excel as a simple monitor for MTConnect
- agent.MTConnect.org — this is where the MTConnect simulator is running. You can just type this into your browser and give simple commands such as:
- MTConnect Machine Tool Device Functionality – This page at the MTConnect Community User Portal provides the common baseline MTConnect Machine Tool Device Functionality. This group provides partial machine, control, and adapter support and functionality supplied by builders. Many additional devices are supported from the factory or via third party adapters, and the MTConnect standard may be extended to cover additional data items.
- NOTE: To access the videos you will simply need a free login or a temporary login by putting in your name and an email address. You do this at the first page of MTConnect.org
- [MC]2 2016 MTConnect: Connecting Manufacturing Conference that is coming the end of April in Chicago
- MTConnect: To Measure Is To Know by Dave Edstrom – technical info on MTConnect is on pages 125 to 202
Leverage the power of MTConnect with:
MTCACT: MTConnect Agent Configuration Tool
MERLIN MTC-One: The key to a robust networked shop floor unlocking the true power of Data-Driven Manufacturing
MERLIN OPTime: Free gateway to Real–Time manufacturing analytics
To visit Dave Edstrom’s blog, please click here.
To learn more about our MTConnect Adapters, please click here.